UPDATED AUGUST 7, 2007
Welcome to Milwaukee, home of the Big 4 Breweries: Blatz,
Pabst, Schlitz & Miller Brewing Companies.
In the mid-1960s, these 4 breweries were among the top ten breweries
in the World.
While Miller Brewing Company is the sole major production brewery
left in operation in Milwaukee, we still have extensive historical
and legendary brewing roots throughout the city as we had over 40
breweries in Milwaukee from 1840 to the present day.
In addition, we host 2 craft Microbreweries: Sprecher Brewing Company
& Lakefront Brewing Company, with a third, Milwaukee Brewing
Company, under construction and due to open this Winter.
In addition, enjoy our 7 Milwaukee-area brewpubs, including Milwaukee
Ale House, Rockbottom, Stonefly, (formerly Onopa), Water Street
(2 locations), Delafield Brewhaus and Silver Creek in Cedarburg.
Rumor has it we've got 3 more brewpubs in the works, including one
at the Pabst Brewery complex.
When you visit Milwaukee, we'd especially like you to see the surviving
examples of Milwaukee's brewing past, including...
- Milwaukee's historic brewery buildings, including Pabst, Blatz,
Schlitz, Gettelman, Graf, Obermann, Val Blat - now Leinenkugel 10th
Street, and Gipfel-Union.
- Beer Baron's Mansions, including a tour of the Captain Frederick
Pabst Mansion at 2000 W. Wisconsin.
- Milwaukee Breweries' saloons, "tied-houses" & taverns.
"Ghost signs" and Milwaukee Brewery Advertising.
- Milwaukee Beer Barons' resting places, Forest Home Cemetery &
Yes, Milwaukee does indeed continue to make Beer Famous
Enjoy your visit to Milwaukee !!!
This website will be showing current and past images of
brewing heritage, with information and addresses, so you can visit
both on-line and in person.
We update this Milwaukee Beer History tour often.
BRUCKE - WISCONSIN DOT BREWERY PLAQUE
(2101 N. Prospect)
This Wisconsin Department of Transportation bronze plaque is
on display at Cafe Brucke.
Erected in 1976, this plaque alerted motorists headed North on I-94
to Wisconsin's proud brewing industry.
This sign had spent many years in storage at the I-94 rest area
This plaque has been donated to the Museum of Beer & Brewing,
courtesy Jerry Patzwald, co-owner with his wife Christine,
of Cafe Brucke.
SCHLITZ BREWING COMPANY
(Krug: 1849-1858) (Schlitz: 1858-1981) (View East)
Located on between Pleasant & Galena, Old World 3rd Street
& the Milwaukee River, the former Schlitz Brewery has been preserved
in the Schlitz Office Park.
SCHLITZ BROWN BOTTLE PUB
(221 W. Galena) (View South)
The Brown Bottle Pub, Schlitz' former tasting room,
is now open again as the Libriamo Restaurant.
The Museum of Beer & Brewing meets the 1st Wednesday
of every month
at Libriamo at 6 PM
The next meeting is in November
(Built 1890) (View South)
Brewhouse "A", for a brief time considered site of the
still stands just East of Libriamo Restaurant.
MBB ARCHIVES PHOTOS:
SCHLITZ OLD BOTTLEHOUSE - OLD & NEW BREWHOUSE
(View Southeast toward old Bottle House)
SCHLITZ OLD BOTTLE HOUSE
SCHLITZ BOTTLE INSPECTORS
SCHLITZ HOP BALES
SCHLITZ GRAIN ELEVATORS
OLD BOTTLE HOUSE
NEW BOTTLE HOUSE
on the Northside of Pleasant.
VAL BLATZ BREWING COMPANY
(1844 - 1959)
(All 3 Views Northwest - Note the Val Blatz Offices
in the lower center of the lower 2 images)
Located mostly on Broadway, but covering several blocks from Water
on the West, between Juneau & Highland, the Valentine Blatz
is preserved as the Val Blatz Apartments and the Milwaukee School
of Engineering's buildings.
(1120 N. Broadway - Built 1890)
The former Val Blatz offices are now the Milwaukee School of Engineering
Alumni Partnership Center, after spending time in between as the
tavern & restaurant.
(1025 - 1047 N. Broadway) (Brewery Building View Southwest)
The Blatz brewhouse is now includes the Campus Student Center
and the Todd Wehr Auditorium of the Milwaukee School of Engineering.
BOILERHOUSE & WAREHOUSE
(1120 N. Broadway) (Boiler Houuse - View North)
Located on Broadway between Juneau & Highland,
the former Blatz Brewery Warehouse & Boilerhouse are all preserved
the Val Blatz apartments, created in 1988.
LEINENKUGEL 10TH STREET BREWERY
(Former G. HEILEMAN'S VAL BLATZ BREWERY
(1515 N. 10th Street - Built 1986)
G. Heileman, who had acquired the Blatz brand, built this microbrewery
for a new line
of micro beers, opening in September of 1986 with Hans Kestler
It closed in 1989.
It was acquired by Miller Brewing Company for Leinenkugel in October
1995, after being used to brew Widmer & Goose Island beers.
PABST BREWING COMPANY
(Best: 1884 -1889) (Pabst: 1889-1997) (View Northwest)
Located on between Winnebago & State., I-43 & 6th Street.
The Pabst Brewery, begun as the Best Empire Brewery, awaits redevelopment,
having been recently been acquired from WisPark by Towne Investments.
The Museum of Beer & Brewing has signed a letter of intent with
Redevelopment, to locate in the 2nd floor of the Pabst offices.
The late Karl Strauss, 44-year Pabst employee and for 20 years,
VP-Brewing, was the Museum of Beer & Brewing's Director Emeritus.
Jim Haertel of BrewCity Redevelopment is President of the Museum
of Beer & Brewing, has title to the Pabst Brewery offices, Gift
Shol & Blue Ribbon Hall.
The Captain Frederick Pabst Statue stands in a garden just outside
Blue Ribbon Hall.
(1217 N. 10th St. - Built 1877) (View North)
Inside the Pabst Brewhouse, rests the copper brewkettles.
CENTER - PABST BLUE RIBBON HALL
(901 W. Juneau Ave. - Built 1933)
The Pabst Visitor's Center highlights the history of brewing on
atop it's 4 walls.
The Garden with the Captain Pabst statue is still just outside.)
OFFICES & THE PABST GREAT HALL
Pabst Guest Center Entry
(915 W. Juneau - Remodel 1890 - 917 W. Juneau - Built 1880)
Formerly located inside the courtyard outside of Blue Ribbon Hall
at the Pabst Brewery Tour Center on Highland, the King Gambrinus
has been relocated to the Pabst headquarters in Illinois
(1037 W. Juneau - Built 1872)
The former 1st Methodist Church
(1003 W. Juneau - Built 1882 & 1893)
(1002 W. Juneau - Built 1891)
(N. 10th St. - Built 1891)
N. 10th St. - Built 1891 - 1911)
(901 W. Winnebago Ave. - Built 1911)
PABST - BEST SOUTHSIDE BREWERY
Located in the the Tannery Complex at 750 W. Virginia,
the Bottle House Building still survives.
Begun as the Johann Meier Brewery, acquired by Franz Neukirch, and
then by Charles T. Melmes, it grew into one of Milwaukee's largest,
before being acquired by the Best Brewery, renamed the Best (later
Pabst) Southside Brewery, before closing.
MILLER BREWING COMPANY
(Founded 1855 ) (View West-Southwest)
This is a view West down State Street, into Miller Valley.
MILLER 1886 BREWHOUSE
(View Northeast of the old Miller Administration building on State
Miller Brewing Company is headquartered at 3939 W. Highland.
Dr. David Ryder, VP-Brewing, Miller Brewing Company,
one of the Museum of Beer & Brewing's Board of Directors.
A 3-sided replica of the original Frederick Miller Plank Road Brewery
now stands on a hill just east of the Miller Inn on State St.
Miller Brewing Company's Hospitality & Tasting Room.
Just west and below the Plank Road Brewery are the Miller Caves.
Formerly the Miller Museum and before that, these were Miller Lagering
The last remaining cave is home to the Annual Museum of Beer &
Brewing "Miller Caves Beer Dinner," to be held again on
June 21, 2007, memoralizing a Wisconsin State Brewers Association
meeting last held on December 17, 1954,
as depicted in the photo on the right.
The photo on the left shows the Museum of Beer & Brewing 2005
"Miller Caves Dinner" layout.
GETTELMAN BREWING COMPANY
(1854-1961) (View North)
The Museum of Beer & Brewing Board of Directors includes
Nancy Moore Gettelman, Author of "A. Gettelman, 107 Years of
a Family Brewery
in Milwaukee," and wife of the late Tom Gettelman, last Gettelman
President, as well as Fred Gettelman, Great-grandson
of Fritz Gettelman.
(4400 W. State)
Gettelman Brewing Company was acquired by Miller Brewing Company
The Gettelman offices still remain, located just West of Miller
on State Street, labeled as the "Plank Road Brewery."
The Gettelman Bottling House is located on State Street,
just North of the Miller Tour Center.
GIPFEL - UNION BREWERY
(1843-1892 - 1423 W. Juneau) (View Southwest)
Milwaukee's oldest brewery struture, built in 1853 by David Gipfel.
The Gipfel-Union is slated to be moved a block East & across
the street in 2006.
JACOB OBERMANN BREWERY
(1854-1896 - 504 W. Cherry) (View Northwest)
The former Falk Brewery is slated to be torn down in late 2006.
A WALK THROUGH OBERMANN
by ERIK PETERSON, MBB Board
A significant piece of Milwaukee’s
brewing history is sitting on the corner of 5th & Cherry, only
a couple of blocks from the Brewery Credit Union.
It’s for sale. It could be a brewery once again. Or maybe
a brewing museum. Local developers and nationally-known brewery
historians have been looking at it for some time now.
With the removal of the Park East Freeway, many dilapidated, turn
of the century industrial buildings are becoming hot properties.
Obermann Brewery opened in 1854, and was Milwaukee’s
largest brewery for 20 years. I stopped by the Brewery Credit
Union to tell loan officer Steven Koski that I was researching
the boarded-up property down the street from him. According to Steve,
there was a fire at Obermann around the turn of the century. New
investors were brought in, and thus the name was changed to Falk,
Jung, and Borchart Brewing Co. Not long after that, Falk
went on to pursue other interests (Falk Industries),
as young Jung, a former brewing apprentice from Pabst Brewery
bought out Falk and Borchart. The name was changed
to Jung Brewery, and business prospered until sometime
after its officially closing at prohibition. However, the building
has survived demolition over the years by functioning as one of
the city’s many generic scrap yards. Cans, metals, and pretty
much anything picked up in the alleys was brought in to sell. In
fact, the basement and sub-basement were still packed full of this
valueless debris until last year.
The City of Milwaukee has owned the building since 2001, purchased
through tax remediation. One of the first tasks was to hire a salvage/cleaning
company to empty out the lower levels. There is a freight elevator,
which was installed about 75 years ago. It would take brewery workers
and supplies into the basement and sub-basement. On the main level,
the floor is an original wood-plank design. When the elevator is
lowered into the basement, its top creates a false-floor on the
main level, effectively hiding the elevator and the lower levels
from view. There is a pull rope to start or stop the elevator. According
to one Dept. of City Development (DCD) employee, the basement contains
vaulted tunnels made of cream city brick. The tunnel on the south
end of the basement appears to lead under the street, toward the
Hein Electric building.
As the first city employees ventured into the basement, their flashlight
view from the elevator was one of piles of debris, some of it decades
old. Broken furniture, wooden barrels, broken industrial machines,
wooden carts with cast iron wheels, bags and boxes full of trash,
piles of tin and aluminum cans with pull-tab tops were almost touching
the ceiling…and shopping carts from more than a few local
grocery chains. Within a few months, the building had been cleaned
out, the windows and doors had been secured, a temporary lighting
system had been wired in, and the electrical fuses had been restored,
at least partially…
The first potential buyers were shown the building in 2002. On one
early showing, an employee from DCD was giving a tour to a local
developer, when the elevator quit working. After a brief walk around
the lower levels, they had returned to the elevator, and found it
non-responsive. They looked around the elevator car to see that
there was no trap door on the ceiling. They looked around the lower
levels to find that there were no staircases going up. There were
workers on the main level, but they were using saws, air compressors,
hammer drills, and other power tools, so getting their attention
was hopeless. The city employee had his cellular phone with him,
and was able to find a spot in the basement where he could get a
signal strong enough to make a call. He didn’t have the numbers
of any of the workers above them, so he dialed 911.
“We’re stuck in the basement of the Obermann
Brewery building on 5th & Cherry.”
The fire department arrived, and came in through a door that had
been left unlocked by the construction workers on the main level.
They used axes to make a hole in the floor, then lowered a 20-foot
aluminum ladder down to free the men trapped below. A fuse had blown.
The City bought some spare fuses, and a ladder of their own to keep
in the hole, for future escapes.
They are still looking for a buyer. Obermann’s entryway on
Cherry Street is just simple wood steps. Once inside, the first
floor appears to have been remodeled in the 60’s or early
70’s, based on the interior design. There is one restroom
and a few offices. The 2nd floor is open, with a staircase, drop
ceiling, and fluorescent lights. Taking the elevator up, the roof
is flat, with a rubber membrane cover, and a few leaks. The roof
level seems to be about 2500 square feet, with spectacular views
in all directions: Brewers Hill, downtown, the Bradley center, and
nearby historic churches.
Nearby was Stout Bros. Public House, one of Milwaukee’s
newer brewpubs. Unfortunately, Stout Bros. closed its doors around
the 1st of September. Painted on the wall above the bar at Stout
Bros. were the logos of many of Milwaukee’s original breweries,
Obermann building facts: 11,000 sq.ft. Cream City brick construction
& exterior. Missing cornices. Some bricked-up windows. Shipping
docks. 3 floors. 2 basement levels. Flat roof.
JOHN GRAF WEISS BEER BREWERY
(2201 W. Greenfield)
Located just a few blocks East of the Little Schlitz Pub, the Graf
Brewery currently houses the Siemann Sign Company.
STOUT BROTHERS BREWPUB
WISCONSIN BREWING CO.
CREAM CITY BREWING COMPANY
(This brewery was located on 13th Street, between Galena & Cherry)
INDEPENDENT MILWAUKEE BREWING CO.
FRANZ FALK's BAVARIAN BREWERY
FALK, JUNG & BORCHART
Bay Road (1859-1860)
& Hoch (1870-1878)
Brewing Assoc. (1875-1881)
MILWAUKEE ROAD BEER LINE
Known by the Milwaukee Road crew as
the "roller coaster," this was one of the railroad's most
profitable lines, serving the Blatz, Schlitz and Pabst Breweries
along what is now Commerce Street.
Located across from Lakefront Brewery (1872 N. Commerce) & East
of the Holton Street Bridge is the last remaining section of the
Beer Line trestle.
Miller Beer Wagon
Pabst Beer Wagon
Schlitz Shipping Yard with Beer Wagons
Schlitz Beer Wagon
Wood-sheathed Reefer Cars
BEER BARON'S MANSIONS
The Barons of Milwaukee's brewing industry built several
A few excellent examples still remain, while others fell to the
(2000 W. Wisconsin - View North - Built 1892)
This Flemish-style mansion is open for tours.
(3112 W. Highland Blvd
- View Northeast)
(3318 N. Lake Drive - Built 1907 - Remodeled 1917)
& PAULA UIHLEIN (SCHLITZ)
(3319 N. Lake Drive - Built 1913)
ROBERT A. UIHLEIN RESIDENCE
(3252 N. Lake Drive - Built 1917 by Architect William Kosick)
This Greek Revival residence, built for Mary Iisley Uihlein and
Robert A. Uihlein, is part of the 2006 Breast Cancer Showhouse for
a Cure from June 10 - 25.
Tickets are $20
Tour hours are Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays & Saturdays from 10 AM - 4 PM; Thursdays from 10 AM - 8 PM and Sundays from Noon - 4 PM
More information: www.breastcancershowhouse.org - (414) 297-9152
PARKS, THEATERS, RESTAURANTS, BANK, HOTELS,....
BREWERY PAVILION, O'DONNELL PARK
(144 E. Wells at Wisconsin Ave. - Rebuilt 1895)
(Left - View Northwest) (Right - View Northeast)
The Nunnemacher Opera House was acquired by Captain Frederick Pabst
and renamed the Stadt Opera House. After a fire demolished most
of the building, it was rebuilt in 1895 and renamed the Pabst Theater.
AUDUBON NATURE CENTER
Uihlein Nine Mile Farms
HALL, MARCUS AMPITHEATER
(729 S. 5th - View West)
Now home to the Ballet Foundation of Milwaukee (504 W. National),
this is the sole surviving example of the Schlitz Palm Gardens.
HOTEL & PALM GARDEN
Located on Grand, now Wisconsin Avenue, where the Grand
Avenue Mall is located, the Schlitz Palm Garden was built by architects
Kirchen & Rose in 1896.
It closed in 1921, was converted into the Garden Theater in 1922
and demolished in 1963.
PARK WITH BLATZ TEMPLE OF MUSIC
PAVILION IN ESTABROOK PARK
WHITE FISH BAY RESORT
PARK, (PABST PARK)
Acquired from the Milwaukee Schuetzen
Gesellschaft, Pabst Park at 3rd & Burleigh is now Garfield Park.
Schlitz Park, formerly Quentin's Park,
was located at 8th & Walnut, which is now Carver Park and Roosevelt
Jr. High School.
WARD SAVINGS BANK
Known as the "Brewers Bank," with Uihlein, Blatz &
Pabst executives as board members, was located on Water & 3rd,
now 910 N. 3rd St., home of the Mlwaukee County Historical Society.
known as the Nashoda Inn (in Nashoda, WI, just South of Hwy 16),
Pabst acquired it in 1889 and renamed it the Red Circle Inn.
"TIED HOUSE" TAVERNS & SALOONS
Milwaukee hosted many brewery-owned saloons &
some of which are still in operation.
Located at 2501 W. Greenfield, this is now the Little Schlitz Pub,
after starting out as the Coventry Saloon & later as Benjamin
Note the blue and white ceramic Schlitz sign
(1900 West St. Paul - View Northwest)
Dave Sobelman has been recently restored his building Located in
the Menomonee Valley, highlighting the Schlitz globe.
BROTHERS - GLOBE TAVERN - SCHLITZ
(2414 S. St. Clair in Bayview - View South)
The 3 Brothers Serbian
still wears the Schlitz Globe on it's rooftop.
M&M CLUB - PABST
(300 S. Water St. - View Northeast)
Due to be remodeled into an Irish Pub,
the former M&M Club was a former Pabst Tied House.
Note the Pabst logo on the South wall.
GOLDEN COIN (PABST)
(1004 E. Brady, at Astor, built by Architect Otto
Schrank in 1890)
(338 1st St.)
TROCADERO (SCHLITZ TIED HOUSE)
(1758 N. Water St.)
Located at Hubbard & Garfield, Brewers Hill
SCHLITZ TIED HOUSE
Located at Holton and Clarke.
MILLER TIED HOUSE
at the Northend of the Holton St. Bridge
SCHLITZ TIED HOUSE
Located at Astor & Brady
& EDITH NORWOOD'S FORMER MILLER TIED HOUSE
Brewers Hill, on Galena
BARTOLOTTA RESTAURANT (FORMER PABST TIED HOUSE)
7616 W. State, Wauwatosa, WI)
GARIBALDI - SCHLITZ
Located on Superior St. in Bayview
GARDENS - SCHLITZ
(2249 N. Humboldt at North Ave. - View Southwest)
SCHLITZ TIED HOUSE ON NORTH
3425 W. North Ave.
SANDWICHES - PABST
Walnut & 35th
COMMUNITY CENTER - SCHLITZ
(3418 N. Martin Luther King Dr., formerly the Main Event)
BEER BARONS FINAL RESTING PLACES
5503 W. Bluemound Rd., Milwaukee, WI
Frederick Miller (1824-1888)
FOREST HOME CEMETERY
(2405 W. Forest Home)
Forest Home Cemetery is located between Forest Home,
27th & Lincoln on Milwaukee's Southwestside.
The Forest Home Cemetery grounds are open for tours
While a bit rainy, the June 18 Beer Baron's of Milwaukee lecture
by John Eastberg in the Chapel at Forest Home featured a terrific
Forest Home President Paul Haubrich led us on a walking tour which
included the Schlitz-Uihlein, Pabst and Blatz memorial sites.
The highlight was the opening and peering into the Blatz crypt.
MBB attendees & friends included Erik Peterson, Jim & Karen
Haertel & Bob Giese.
Both Bob Giese & Erik took photos & we also videotaped the
lecture and tour.
Notable Beer Barons buried at Forest Home Cemetery include...
Jacob Best (1786-1861)
TERRACE MUSEUM: CYRIL COLNIK
(2220 N. Terrace Avenue)
The Beer Barons Breweries & Mansions were decorated with a flourish,
from the entry gates and window grates to the chandeliers.
The Milwaukee master of brass, bronze & wrought iron was Cyril
Thanks to the Kohler Foundation, Villa Terrace acquired his collection
from his daughter Gretchen Colnik in 2002.
What is a "Ghost
Ghost signs are beer advertisements painted on brick walls in Milwaukee
and throughout the U.S. Some are most vivid after an adjacent wall
has been torn down. Others are visible just after a rainfall. According
to the [Society for Commercial Archeology], a sign may fall into
several categories. It may be a landmark (at least 20 years old
and of special significance because of its design, size or configuration).
Or it could be historic (theater marquees, neon letters and wood
signs whose craftsmanship and construction materials speak of earlier
eras). Or it may be a "ghost sign", a faded, painted sign,
at least 50 years old, on an exterior building wall heralding an
obsolete product, an outdated trademark or a clue to the history
of the building's occupancy. These ghost signs often reappear after
a rainstorm or following the demolition of a neighboring building.
“The early billboards could be found on barns and brick walls,
in popular alleyways and warehouses across the country from about
the 1890s until the television age. . .. As time marched on, old
buildings were torn down or the old signs were painted over. Yet
a few remain, their lead lettering often serving as the sole reminder
of the product or service they sold. Some are visible only after
a rain, prompting the nickname "ghost signs." (2)
sign painters used white lead for white, lampblack for black. They'd
make a paper pattern of the design, then perforate the lines with
a small device called a pattern wheel, a tiny spiked wheel on a
handle. Roll the wheel around the lines of a pattern and the spikes
would leave a series of holes. Then the painter would fasten the
pattern to the wall and pat the outline with a cotton bag filled
with chalk or powdered charcoal, called a "pounce" bag.
The result was a dotted line, like connect-the-dots drawing. The
paint was mixed with linseed oil and vanish, with perhaps gasoline
as a rapid drying agent. The result was long-lasting, though time
and sun ages all paint. White lead deteriorated slowest of all the
pigments, so many signs today are white "ghosts" of the
original. Many old signs have vanished beneath fresh paint or stucco.
Once painted over, the signs are destroyed, but stucco can fall
off and, like a Rembrandt beneath a painting of poker playing dogs,
the classic artwork resurfaces. We pass these fading examples of
folk art without a second glance--old brick walls and barn sides
proclaiming the virtues of products long since vanished from the
market. All that remains is a wispy spirit, clinging to crumbling
“According to the [Society for Commercial Archeology],
a sign may fall into several categories. It may be a landmark (at
least 20 years old and of special significance because of its design,
size or configuration). Or it could be historic (theater marquees,
neon letters and wood signs whose craftsmanship and construction
materials speak of earlier eras). Or it may be a "ghost sign"
— a faded, painted sign, at least 50 years old, on an exterior
building wall heralding an obsolete product, an outdated trademark
or a clue to the history of the building's occupancy. These signs
often reappear after a rainstorm or following the demolition of
a neighboring building.” (2)
Join us in documenting and helping to preserve Ghost Signs !!!
There are many more out there. Some have been repainted, such as
the Riverwest Co-Op & the Gettelman sign in Waukesha.
Please alert us as we plan an on-going gallery of “Ghost
Sign” photos in our Virtual Exhibits to celebrate this example
of signmaker's art.
CREDITS: (1) Beth Sherman, "Design Notes," Newsday, June
(2) Kaitlin Gurney, "Sign, sealed, delivered," The News
and Observer (Raleigh, NC), October 1, 1999
(3) Ghosts on the Bricks by Joel M. Vance
LIQUORS - SCHLITZ
Located on the East wall of ABC Liquors on North Avenue, West of Holton
Ave. in the Hembree neighborhood of Milwaukee.
CO-OP - SCHLITZ
Located on the East & West walls of the Riverwest Co-Op at 733
in the Riverwest of Milwaukee.
LEE'S LOUNGE - BLATZ
Located at the North wall of Lee's Lounge at 2988 S. Kinnickinnic,
in the Bayview neighborhood of Milwaukee.
LOUNGE - JUNG
2 Jung signs, one on the East and another on the South walls of
at 2678 W. Center St, in the Brewers Hill neighborhood, just West
130 E. Keefe
I) DIVERSIFICATION & AFFILIATED INDUSTRIES
As Milwaukee's breweries grew, so did their
need for supplies, from wood to steel to stainless kegs, brew kettles
& fermentation tanks, cleaning chemicals, refrigeration equipment,
barley malt, corn, hops, cans & bottles,...
During Prohibition and afterward, the breweries sought to diversify
Falk sold his brewing interests and started Falk Corporation
Fritz Gettelman developed the truck-mounted snowplow.
Tom Gettelman, after selling the Gettelman Brewery to Miller
became President of Froedert Malting.
Froedtert Hospital opened in 1980 due to the efforts of the
founder of Froedtert Malting.
Below is a list of current & past Milwaukee brewery
suppliers and Milwaukee brewery owner affiliations & venues
8415 N. 87th
St., Milwaukee WI 53226
John Kretsch, Ace Chemical Vice-President, one of the Museum of Beer
& Brewing Board of Directors.
Metal Beverage Container
8500 W. Tower Rd., Milwaukee, WI.
Built as the Miller Brewing Can Division in 1974, sold to
Reynolds Aluminum in 1993, acquired by Ball Metal Can Division in
Founded and owned by David V. Uihlein
City Beer Gear
Malting & Ingredients Company
Since 1876 in Chilton, WI
Agricultural Resources Inc.
Manitowoc Malting Plant, located on
23 acres in Downtown Manitowoc, WI,
was built by Rahr Malting in 1847 and sold to Anheuser-Busch in
Started in 1950, the Continental Can
plant on Port Washington Rd. in Glendale, WI, acquired by Cork Crown
& Seal in 1990 and closed in 1992.
Crown & Seal
11801 W. Silver Spring Rd., Milwaukee,
also Continental Can)
Malt Co., Division of International Malting Co.
Former Schlitz Brewery acquisition
Formerly a division of the Banta Corporation,
absorbed into Array Marketing Group
Founded in 1968, Krones USA is the
sole US division of Krones AG, a German packaging & labeling
While equipment assembly has currently ceased, this location is
the North American sales & service headquarters of Krones AG.
closed in 2005
Center - Uihlein Hall
The late John N. Ladish was Chairman of Ladish Malting for
52 years and Trustee Emeritus of Marquette Board of Trustees
J. Meyer Co.
Filler & labeler manufacturer,
acquired by Figgie, broken up & sold to In-Line Labling Corporation
and SASIB SPA in 1994.
School of Engineering
Dr. Robert R. Spitzer & David Uihlein Sr., announcing the Milwaukee
School of Engineering Endowed Chair of Free Enterprise in 1999.
Murphy Products below)
Products Company - "Maltlage"
Schlitz Brewing Company sought to market their spent grain, collaborating
with Dr. Robert R. Spitzer, President of Murphy Products Company,
a midwestern feed manufacturer, which was headquartered in Burlington,
L.A. Hunt, Assistant to the VP of Brewing and Manager of the Grain
Department at Schlitz Brewing Company, developed the idea of "Brewers
Wet Grains". Mr. Hunt was later to become VP-Brewery Products
at Murphy Products.
In 1966, Murphy & Schlitz began developing"Maltlage,"
a branded version of Brewers Grain Silage, in the form of Brewers
Wet Grain for dairy cows and feedlot beef.
The first field test began on a farm near Janesville, Wisconsin,
with 50 head of beef cattle, leading to development of Murphy's
140-acre research farm in 1968.
Schlitz acquired Murphy's in late 1971.
The Murphy Maltlage program was so effective that it was spread
to all of Schlitz's breweries throughout the US.
Dr. Robert R. Spitzer, President of Murphy Products, later
developed the "Food for Peace" program for President Gerald
Ford and was Milwaukee School of Engineering President from 1977
Located of Port Washington Rd. in
Glendale, these former Schlitz grain elevators were demolished in
March & April 1999
Schlitz produced candy, chocolate & cheese.
This label shows the former Schlitz chocolate plant, located East
of Green Bay Road in Glendale.
FOR MORE BREWING HISTORY, VISIT...
(c) 2006 Jeff Platt - Suds, Wine & Spirits